What Strain of Weed is Right for Me? Find Your Perfect Strain
What weed strain is right for me is a common frequently asked question for both medical and recreational marijuana consumers. There are more than 700 strains and counting. On top of that, the cannabinoids, THC potency level, terpene content, and therapeutic effects vary. Imagine how these various factors can make it challenging to decide on the right strain.
At Orange Cannabis, in Massachusetts, we’re focused on consumers getting exactly what they desire. Our industry-knowledgeable budtenders are on-site to answer critical questions about the various flower strains and cannabis products found on our recreational menu. In the meantime, note the following key things on how to choose the right strain for you.
What Is a Cannabis Strain?
Biologists in the cannabis industry use the term ‘strain’ to refer to a genetic variation of the cannabis plant. The use of cannabis for medicinal and recreational purposes dates back several centuries. Back then, selecting the right strain and learning one’s THC tolerance levels were based largely on trial and error.
Types of Cannabis Strains
There are generally three main cannabis varieties or species. These are indica, sativa, and hybrid. A hybrid is any strain formed by joining together two or more buds that have unique genetics and characteristics. For example, a genetic cross between Chem’s Sister, Sour Dubb, and Chocolate Diesel produced the hybrid Gorilla Glue. Researchers revealed there are over 700 strains of the same species or crossbred hybrids. Each individual indica, sativa, and hybrid strain has its own appearance, chemical makeup, and therapeutic benefits.
How to Choose the Right Weed Strain for You?
Marijuana affects individual users differently. The effects also differ from strain to strain. As such, a trial-and-error approach may not be the ideal way to narrow down your choice. Not only that, growers continue to cross different cultivars to create what’s called “hybrid” marijuana.
Understanding how your body might react to each strain is key. That being said, selecting a suitable strain for you usually boils down to the psychoactive effects you desire. This typically depends on the genus or strain type, potency level, as well as the cannabinoid and terpenes content.
- Sativa: Known for its stimulating, energizing, and uplifting effect. Other therapeutic effects include a boost in mood, creativity, concentration, and focus. Widely sought-after sativa-dominant include Sour Diesel, Blue Dream, and Purple Thai.
- Indica: Usually sought after for its pain-relieving, relaxing, calming, and sleep-inducing effects. Sour Kush, Ice Cream Cake, and Hindu Kush are among the bestselling indica-dominant strains.
- Hybrid: Combination effects. The more obvious effects will depend on whether the strain leans more to the sativa or indica side. OG Kush, Strawberry Banana, Wedding Cake, and Gorilla Glue are three popular strains.
Is the desired euphoric effect focus, energy, relaxation, or creativity? The number of cannabinoids, percentage of THC, and terpene profile of each individual strain play different roles and influence the therapeutic experience. Effects can vary vastly even among similar types of weed due to growing, harvesting, and processing conditions.
- Cannabinoids: These are active chemical compounds found in weed. Over 100 cannabinoids exist in a single strain besides the more prominent THC and CBD. THC is the key cannabinoid responsible for the psychoactive or euphoric effect experienced.
- THC potency: The potency level of a weed variety depends on the percentage of delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC. THC is the main compound responsible for the feelings produced. THC percentages differ based on the strain type but can range from on average from 15-25%
- Terpenes: Terpenes are oils that create unique scents and flavors in different strains. The terpenes Limonene, Myrcene, and Caryophyllene are commonly present in many strains. Terpenes play a key role in the unique experience. Studies show terpenes combine with THC and other marijuana cannabinoids, such as CBD, to create what is called an entourage effect.
Knowing what to expect in your choice of strain helps in choosing a product that has the right potency, taste, aroma, and effect. Today, newbies and veteran pot lovers alike can also take an online QUIZ or get expert guidance from a recreational dispensary budtender.
Find Your Ideal Weed Strain at Our Recreational Dispensary in Orange MA
At the end of the day, the “right” strain comes down mostly to the effects you’re seeking. We’re here at Orange Cannabis to guide you in making the decision on which cannabis strain may work for you. We source our flower and by-products from the best local farmers and processors in the industry. That way patrons can be confident they’re getting premium-quality regardless of price. Shop now and get in on our $3 pre-rolls special and other bundles/deals on concentrates, tinctures, edibles, and cartridges. Visit or call (978) 633-4225 to connect with us.